New Devotional Guide Focuses on UN Millennium Development Goals
- February 01, 2012
- Category: Global Poverty, Millennium Development Goals, Ministry with the Poor Initiatives, Systems and Structures
Washington, DC, January 31, 2012—A new book of devotional material organized around the United Nation’s Millennium Development goals has been published by the General Board of Church and Society, a United Methodist agency.
The 212-page paperback in 8 ½ by 6 inch format contains contributions from 150 people from around the world. The contributors, from seven continents, are identified at the end of each meditation or prayer.
Entitled Meditations and Devotions on the Millennium Development Goals: A Prayerful Guide, the book contains reflections, prayers and actions that individuals can take regarding each of the eight goals. The eight goals are:
- Eradicating extreme poverty and hunger,
- Achieving universal primary education,
- Promoting gender equality and empowerment of women,
- Reducing child mortality,
- Improving maternal health,
- Combatting HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases,
- Ensuring environmental sustainability, and
- Achieving a global partnership for development
The book also contains the full UN Declaration on the Millennium Development Goals.
These goals correspond to the mission and ministries of The United Methodist Church and its several regional organizations and agencies. Engaging the church and its membership in advocating that governments fulfill their commitments to achieve these goals by 2015 is a priority of the Ministry with the Poor focus area of the denomination.
The Rev. Liberato Bautista of the Church and Society staff edited the book and wrote sections of the meditations. Bautista is assistant general secretary for the UN and international affairs of the agency.
Published by the General Board of Church and Society. ©November 2011. ISBN 978-1-4507-9931-7. Price: US$7.95.
To order the book, go to www.umc-gbcs.org/MDGBook. Part of the sales of this not-for-profit publication benefits Imagine No Malaria (www.imaginenomalaria.org) and the UM Global Aids Fund (www.2020aidsfreeworld.org). You may direct inquiries about the publication to Rev. Liberato Bautista at LBautista@umc-gbcs.org.
Eight devotionals from this text, one for each Millenium Development Goal, are available here for free download:
- Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/75/1PovertyandHunger_MDGdevotional.pdf
- Achieve Universal Primary Education: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/76/2Education_MDGdevotional.pdf
- Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/77/3GenderEquality_MDGdevotional.pdf
- Reduce Child Mortality: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/78/4ChildMortality_MDGdevotional.pdf
- Improve Maternal Health: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/79/5MaternalHealth_MDGdevotional.pdf
- Combat HIV/AIDS, Malaria, and other diseases: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/80/6CombatDiseases_MDGdevotional.pdf
- Ensure Environmental Sustainability: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/81/7Sustainability_MDGdevotional.pdf
- Develop a Global Partnership for Development: http://www.ministrywith.org/files/82/8Development_MDGdevotional.pdf